You might have realized this but it news to me that my quarters are off. I calculated wrong, which makes sense because I’m not the best at math, but the quarters will be righted by the next wrap-up post, which will be up at the end of September.
In my first quarter wrap-up post, I spoke about not reading enough and being a slow reader. I guess that post helped my reading speed because it has increased, and now I’m way behind on reviews. Crashing the Write Those Reviews Party didn’t even help, mostly because I had family in town and my work life got a bit crazy. But I’m not complaining about this increase in speed because there are a ton of books I’d love to read right this minute and sometimes I feel as if I won’t ever get to read ALL the books I want to read in my lifetime.
As for what I read, the majority are books with a few comics/graphic novels sprinkled throughout. I didn’t read any magazines but I did read a few articles.
Note: Since I skewed the quarters in my first post by including April, I’ll only include the materials I read in May and June in this one.
Books and comics read
Books by month
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne ★★★★★
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas ★★★☆☆
Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent, book 2) ★★★☆☆
A Long Day’s Evening by Bilge Karasu ★★★☆☆
Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander (The Chronicles of Prydain, book 4) ★★★★☆
Unteachable by Leah Raeder ★★★★★
Talon by Julie Kagawa (Talon, book 1) ★★☆☆☆
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss, book 1) ★★★★☆
You by Caroline Kepnes (You, book 1) ★★★★★
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, illus. by Jules Feiffer ★★★☆☆
Comics/graphic by month
Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan, illus. by Fiona Staples ★★★★★
Rat Queens, Vol.1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe, illus. by Roc Upchurch ★★★★★
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol.1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen, illus. by Jamie McKelvie ★★★★☆
Infinite Spiral, Vol.1: Another World by Kristy Cunningham ★★★☆☆
Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol ★★★☆☆
Amulet, Vol.1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi ★★★☆☆
Favorites of the bunch
Saga, Vol. 1
Saga, Vol. 1
Reading challenges hits
A Sci-fi novel: Journey to the Center of the Earth
A book originally published in another language: A Long Day’s Evening
A comic/graphic novel: Rat Queens, Vol.1: Sass & Sorcery
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
Notable experiences while reading
My grandparents came to visit (I haven’t seen them in a long time) and every weekend a different family member would drop by to see them. June was a busy month at my house. I also discovered Book Outlet, which is the best new thing I’ve heard of all year.
Noteworthy articles read
“Why It Pays to Be a Jerk” by Jerry Useem (The Atlantic)
The article is about why it seems that jerks tend to get farther ahead than those who’re nice. I don’t agree much with the author, though. From the examples he gave, it seems that people respect those who take risks or the initiative to help the group. It just happens that most people who do so are jerks or are perceived as jerks.
“Stories We Can’t See” by Tim Parks (The New York Review of Books)
This article is about what we see when we read; how do we visualize the characters in our head. I thought it was a coincidence when I found this article because I’d watched a Youtube video on the topic a few minutes before seeing the article. Parks basically says that memory comes into play when we picture characters and what we see is a memory of someone who best fits the author’s descriptions. I think this is an interesting point but I don’t entirely agree. I think some of us try to create an image as we read and the result is something new.
★ “Object Lesson: Why We Need Physical Books” by William Giraldi (The New Republic)
This is my favorite article of the bunch. For me, it is a defense for owning many books, preferably in print. I think I’ll print this and tape it to my bedroom door for my family to see. They think I own too many books (I have just 1 bookshelf and little more than 400 books with e-books included. That’s hardly a lot) and my wanting more is insane.
Goodreads says that I’ve read 64% of this book already and boy did I enjoy that 64%. I anticipate the remaining 36%. I wonder how the story will end and what will happen to Meira and the Winterians. Things weren’t looking good when I stopped reading to take a nap and then write this post.