For the month of May, my Wednesdays on here are dedicated to the Wyrd & Wonder Challenge. I’ll share my picks for the topics that pop up in the current week on the Wednesday. Most likely, the picks will be repeats of what I post on Instagram (that’s if I manage to post anything on IG).
For this post, I’ll do the challenge topics for May 9-15. So, here it goes!
For Mother’s Day…
I’ll highlight Molly Weasley
Because she’s the first character to pop in mind when I thought of this topic. It’s probably the same answer I gave in the past on similar topics, but I really couldn’t think of anyone else, and she is a fantastic character.
I have mixed feelings about…
The Deep by Rivers Solomon with Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, & Jonathan Snipes
It’s a fantasy novella about what happens to the descendants of pregnant African slave women who were thrown overboard the slave ships. It was an interesting read, and I liked the myth it creates about the descendants; but overall, I didn’t care much for the story or the protagonist.
#TropeTuesday She’s a reluctant heroine that…
Dellaria “Delly” Wells
Ha! It’s my second W&W challenge post and the second time I’m mentioning C.M. Waggoner’s Ruthless Lady’s Guide to Wizardry. I really enjoyed that book and the reason why is because of the protagonist, Delly. She is indeed the reluctant heroine who does good only to impress a potential householder who she has her sights on… so she says. It was a lot of fun reading about her.
Desert Island Reads
Following the instructions Imyril listed in her post, here’s what I hope will survive my crash-landing/will wash ashore on the desert island I get stranded on.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, illus. by Jim Kay — It’s my favorite in the series, and the illustrations will entertain me.
- Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O’Neill — Hopefully I can find herbal bushes on the island to make tea that I’ll sip while reading this.
- Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett — It’ll give me something to laugh about.
- The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb — So I’ll know someone feels worse than me. (Misery loves company, and Fitzy is always down on himself. This one is my fav in the series.)
- A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin — For something bloody entertaining
- The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold — Because it’s something I enjoy rereading
- The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge by M.T. Anderson, illus. by Eugene Yelchin — Since it looks fun but I haven’t yet read it.
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin — Because I’ll have time to start a new series… although I’ll be stuck with only the first book.
The Magicians — I don’t think I’ll get tired of watching that over and over.
Thing I can’t live without
Blanket — I like to be warm and comfy.
Had me at hello…
With that gorgeous cover – The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
I haven’t read it yet, but I will soon for a book club. The cover is so stunning! I’m glad I own it.
Fantasy voices from around the world, here’s…
The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan
Ico: Castle in the Mist by Miyuki Miyabe
Albina and the Dog Men by Alejandro Jodorowsky
Petrosyan is an Armenian author and cartoonist. I own a copy of the Gray House but have yet to read it.
Miyabe is a Japanese author. I own a copy of Ico but have yet to read it.
Jodorowsky is a Chilean-French writer and filmmaker. Albina and the Dog Men seems to be magical realism; however, (as I keep repeating) I own a copy but haven’t yet read it (story of my reading life).
featuring Robin Hobb books
If I manage to pull it off, I’ll feature all my Robin Hobb books. I’d post pics of them all here, but I’m lazy; so instead here’s a pic of one of the books (above) and below I’ve listed all the books, in case you’re interested in starting on her series.
Realm of the Elderlings series
The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince
Assassin’s Apprentice | Royal Assassin | Assassin’s Quest
Liveship Traders trilogy
Ship of Magic | Mad Ship | Ship of Destiny
Fooll’s Errand | The Golden Fool | Fool’s Fate
Rain Wild Chronicles
Dragon Keeper | Dragon Haven | City of Dragons | Blood of Dragons
Fitz and the Fool
Fool’s Assassin | Fool’s Quest | Assassin’s Fate
The Inheritance: An Anthology by Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (another pen name she writes under)
Soldier Son series
Shaman’s Crossing | Forest Mage | Renegade’s Magic
WELL, THAT’S IT FOR THIS W&WW.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU’VE READ ANY OF THESE.